Saturday, August 29, 2009

'Scue Me, Mommy!

About a month ago, Pax started having a tough time when I was having conversations with other adults in his presence. He'd put his hand up near my mouth in "STOP" formation and shout, "NO, MOMMY!" just about every time I'd start a sentence. As you can imagine, this did not fly well with me.

So, I taught him to (politely) say, "Excuse me" to adults when they are talking. Currently, we've seen some improvement. Usually, conversations happen like this around our house.

Me: Talking with someone other than Pax.

Pax: 'SCUE ME, MOMMY! Still sort of frantic, but much better than shouting "NO!"

Me: Yes, Paxon?

90% of the time, he has not really processed what he is going to say or do once he has my attention. It's like he's surprised each time that I stop and listen to him.

Pax: Blank look, then thinking quickly, he picks up the nearest toy and shows it to me. This one red, mommy.

Me: You're right, buddy! That truck is red.

The conversation resumes for another few turns and this scenario repeats itself. It's a work in progress, right?

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    I love that you've started blogging! I remember when Owen started saying "Excuse me, Mommy" and how he thought if he just said that he could talk all he wanted even though I was still talking. It's still a work in progress but does get better over time! :O)

    ReplyDelete