Sunday, September 27, 2009

Just Beachy

Last week, we took a trip to the beach. Part of the week was a planning retreat for Travis and some fellow youth ministers to prepare for their annual December Breakthru retreat. During our shared time with these friends, we were delighted to see Pax really enjoying the company of adults outside our family and to watch our friends really enjoying him. They learned a few current Pax-isms including his need to know everyone's name and to determine exactly what each person in the room is doing at all times. Mrs. Kris, Mr. Earle, and Mr. Andrew were great sports as we sang thanksgiving for each meal (and snack), then took two bites and sang an additional prayer or two (even at restaurants). They helped us build sand castles and play cars. They even gave Travis and me a night out while they kept Paxon. On the day when the rest of the group headed home and we were left to vacation as a family of three, Pax walked sullenly back to the house from the beack and lamented, "Pax friends no in beach house." Clearly, they have become special friends to him as well!

This beach trip was full of exploration and curiosity. The first time we walked to the beach on this trip, Pax looked out and said, "Oooooh! A lot of water!" So true, it leaves me in awe every time I see it. He kept wanting to know what the ocean was doing and where it was going. Very good questions. I wasn't sure exactly how to answer. I had worried about how Pax would react to the sand and the ocean, but as always, I was plesantly surprised by him. He loved holding the sand in his hands and walking on it with his bare feet. He couldn't keep his fingers out of the crab holes in the sand. Thankfully, none of them felt as curious about him as he did about them! We built roads for our trucks and castles for the sand pipers and splashed in the salty waves. Here are a few pictures of our week:

Decorating a sand castle with seaweed.

Our view as we relaxed on the beach

Check this guy out!

Family beach photo

Don't worry, the trucks got to vacation to the beach as well. They were essential in our sand castle construction.


1 comment:

  1. Amanda, Pax is SO cute! I can't believe how big he is now. I love reading your blog and keeping up with how y'all are doing. I hope to see you soon!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete